Jump to content

Telescoping Post Longer or Staying Compact


Recommended Posts

Hello,

I'm wondering if there are any advantages to extending the post to make the rig longer or if it is better to keep it as compact as possible? I assume there has to be some physics behind the explanation and maybe it all comes down to personal preference/specific shot scenario. I would love any information on the topic. 

Danny

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think post length should be altered to get the specific shot - either to change the lens height range and/or the rig's inertia. Choosing to configure your sled only one way is like playing 10 keys on the piano instead of all 88.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 12:06 PM, Jerry Holway said:

I think post length should be altered to get the specific shot - either to change the lens height range and/or the rig's inertia. Choosing to configure your sled only one way is like playing 10 keys on the piano instead of all 88.

I disagree. You want the rig to feel the same so that your muscle memory is the same.  It allows you to NOT think about the rig and just allow it to be an extension of yourself when you operate 

Constantly changing the rigs response just introduces muscular confusion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, David Thomas said:

I disagree. You want the rig to feel the same so that your muscle memory is the same.  It allows you to NOT think about the rig and just allow it to be an extension of yourself when you operate 

Constantly changing the rigs response just introduces muscular confusion.

I myself prefer a short rig but will change that based on what is needed within the majority of a shot. So, if I need the lens at a higher or lower height I will change that to a longer rig. 

Danny, take advice from the guy with more experience and who actually wrote the book on Steadicam, contributed to Steadicam with multiple inventions and who has devoted decades of his life to teaching Steadicam Operating to thousands of people across the globe. 

My two cents.

 

Edited by Katerina Kallergis
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Katerina Kallergis said:

I myself prefer a short rig but will change that based on what is needed within the majority of a shot. So, if I need the lens at a higher or lower height I will change that to a longer rig. 

Katerina,

Would it not be more efficient to use a longer arm post rather than lengthening the entire sled to achieve a specific lens height? At least when operating in high mode. In low mode, I would agree with lengthening the sled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Maxwel Fisher said:

Katerina,

Would it not be more efficient to use a longer arm post rather than lengthening the entire sled to achieve a specific lens height? At least when operating in high mode. In low mode, I would agree with lengthening the sled.

I guess that all depends on how short you are and how high you need to go. But yes, I often use a long arm post. Arm posts longer than 12" are frowned upon, based on strength. I'll try to raise to socket block maybe but really how much does that gain if your torso isn't all that long. Depending on the height one needs, one may need to do one or the other or a combo.

My point is being dead set on one set up is limiting to what one can achieve as an operator. Personally, I think it makes one less versatile in a world where shots are never the same.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Katerina Kallergis said:

My point is being dead set on one set up is limiting to what one can achieve as an operator. Personally, I think it makes one less versatile in a world where shots are never the same.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. My bringing up the arm post length over extending the post was mostly because we're taught to keep the gimbal CG as close to the camera as possible. Of course that's not always the case as you explained above. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maxwel Fisher said:

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. My bringing up the arm post length over extending the post was mostly because we're taught to keep the gimbal CG as close to the camera as possible. Of course that's not always the case as you explained above. 

Right. Not to mention a long day with a long arm post means really angry traps. I know because I've been there.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 2:54 PM, David Thomas said:

I disagree. You want the rig to feel the same so that your muscle memory is the same.  It allows you to NOT think about the rig and just allow it to be an extension of yourself when you operate 

Constantly changing the rigs response just introduces muscular confusion.

Yeah, what do you know about steadicam, Jerry?...

 

 

... mmm what?... ooooh.... wait...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I traditionally like short sleds and change up arm posts (especially for high mode) far more often than extending the rig (to keep the gimbal closer to the camera). Now, I use an XCS mid-arm swivel instead of changing arm posts, but similar idea. Of course, there are times when I DO change the center post length.... They are all tools available to us. And, if you think about it, if you are using a Volt or a Wave, the need to keep the gimbal close to the camera for horizon sake, really doesn't apply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...