Jump to content

Modified Steadicam Scout


Recommended Posts

As some of you have seen over in the specific topics I was doing all kinds of crazy stuff to a Pilot rig. All to no avail. Haha!! 

Well I bit the bullet and cashed in some vacation time and bought a Scout. Scout sled, Flyer arm and Scout vest. Not really

too sure which Flyer arm it is. As you can see in the pic I have done some mods. Added 2 more power lines and another 

HD-SDI line. I put some feelers out there for the Zephyr top stage housing skirts but Tiffen US and UK doesn't have any

and Mr. Luna said the same. Still would like to get those pieces if anyone on here could help. I didn't really want to put

all of that outside the stage but thanks to Steadicam there just so happen to be 2 tapped 5/32" holes on the bottom of

the stage. No I idea what they are for but they worked perfect. Had to cut and file some channels for the mounts but no

biggie... I also switched out the 3 pin Lemo for 2 pin because I have all 2 pin OB connectors. Used the IDX battery plate on

changed it to a 1B 2 pin. Everything works as it should. I'll explain the bottom soon enough. And this can all go back to it's

original state if needed. Notice I had to add a lot of weight to the top. Extra Glidecam weight plates sandwiched between

a SmallRig Arri dovetail and the Steadi plate. Flies like a dream...(after balancing the gimbal yoke, PITA!!!! Haha!!) Feel free

to ask any questions. Peace!!!

20240326_200030~2.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

For anyone who likes to tinker and modify, I thought I would share the new project and explain a few things. So the Scout was introduced in 2010 with a max cam weight of 18-19lbs. It held onto the single "rod" concept from the Pilot. The mount to the post is a lot beefier but the "rod" stayed the same size. Having a pilot myself and modifying it like crazy, I knew right away what I was going to do to the Scout. Get rid of said "rod". The one that came with my Scout had been a little overtightened and did not slide back and forth very well. So I wanted to figure out how to get my bottom electronics box and the rods for the battery onto it. Well I lucked out by having the old Pilot because I just used the "rod" from it, cut it down and used the 2 monitor mounts and 2 rod clamps to attach it to the base. I didn't want to cut the post like I did on the Pilot. It can all be put back to it's original state if ever I decide to sell it. I used a bigger Hammond box(1590C) to give myself a little more room to house all the wiring. Again I used a power board from a Camvate(Rolux) v mount distro plate. I run 14.8V for Dtap, 12V,5V and another HD SDI line. Benchmarked, the voltage is stable and as I am not running power to any camera's right now, I'm not too worried about my amperage. My JVC LS300 runs on its own batteries and I fly a 12K Ursa Mini with its own battery as well. My monitor runs on 12V and on the top stage I am able to power a wireless HD video transmitter and a follow focus. All in all, I would say it works just fine. Any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks. 

20240316_054805.jpg

20240320_162554.jpg

20240320_162605.jpg

20240320_162630.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...